Everyone needs a back-pocket recipe that they can pull out at a moment’s notice—this one is mine. Made up of fairly basic pantry staples that I almost always have on hand, it’s especially great when I know I’m due for a grocery shop. Unlike most traditional stews that take hours to cook, this one is ready in about twenty minutes. But the best part? It’ll still taste like you’ve been working on it all day. Reprinted with permission from Effortless Vegan by Sarah Nevins, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Sarah Nevins
Mediterranean Chickpea Spinach Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (240 g) diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 (15-oz [425-g]) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (90 g) packed spinach
- 6 oz (170 g) vegan feta (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Add the garlic, oregano and cayenne. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable stock and vinegar. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a simmer.
- Let it cook for 7 to 10 minutes to thicken the sauce, stirring every so often.
- Stir in the chickpeas, spinach and vegan feta (if using). Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt as needed and top with fresh parsley.