These little maple cinnamon shortbread cookies are very simple to make and very hard to get wrong. These keep well and make lovely Christmas gifts. They smell so good while baking. You could make these gluten free with a simple substitute of the flour. They will be just as tasty. The best thing about these is that you will not miss the butter. They are crispy and delicious little vegan bites!
Maple Cinnamon Shortbread [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegan spread / butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Put butter, sugar and maple into a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for about 30 seconds and then wrap in cling wrap and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes (it’s ok if you leave it longer).
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Unwrap your dough and place it between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll out to about 1/3-inch in thickness.
- Use your desired cookie cutter shape and once cut, lift carefully using a knife, and place onto the baking tray.
- Bake for about 10 minutes (until pale, not brown!). Cool for a further 10 minutes if you can wait (because it smells so good)!
- Dust with a little cinnamon and sugar and enjoy.
These will keep for about a week in an airtight container but trust us, they won’t last that long. These would also make a lovely gift – wrap in a little cellophane or put them in a little tin / jar with a ribbon.