Mac n cheese is such a comforting meal. Smooth, creamy, nut-free sauce and your fave pasta shape combine for a super satisfying and warming dish. You can serve this dish without the topping if you're in a rush and just combine the sauce and pasta in a pan, but adding the topping before a final cook in the oven adds that extra something special. This recipe is really flexible, so you can use carrots or any type of squash you have to hand. Go for orange ones to make the sauce extra vibrant!
Mac N Cheese [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 14 ounces squash, baby pumpkins and/or carrots
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 1/2 cups pasta of choice
For the 'Parmesan' Topping:
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritonal yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F and roast squash for 30 mins, until you can pierce easily with a knife. I find it easiest roast my squash whole and unpeeled then scoop out the flesh, but you can peel and chop before roasting if you prefer. Keep the oven on.
- Add roasted squash flesh to a blender with coconut milk, stock, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika and mustard. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
- To prepare the topping heat a skillet or frying pan to a medium heat. Melt butter and add panko breadcrumbs, stirring constantly until toasted and golden. Set aside. To a food processor, add nutritional yeast and the toasted breadcrumbs and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside. Add sauce to the pan and heat to a simmer. Add in tapioca flour and stir well with a whisk until thick. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, and pour into a large skillet or baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan topping and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crispy on top.
*If you only need this to serve two simply use half the amount of pasta and save half the sauce for a delicious cheesy dip or spread. The sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days, simply heat in a pan with a little water and stir well until smooth. *To make this gluten free, use your favourite gluten free pasta and use gluten free breadcrumbs in place of Panko breadcrumbs.