This mac and cheese casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dinner. Pasta elbows and broccoli florets are tossed with a cheesy sauce, topped with buttery bread croutons, and then baked into possibly the most comforting casserole ever. Make a big batch for a week's worth of yummy dinners.
Mac and Cheese Casserole [Vegan]
- 3 cups elbow, spiral, or shell pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar
- 2 slices of buttered whole wheat bread
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 2 quart casserole dishes and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. When pasta is done, drain and rinse with cold water. Return to the large pot and set aside.
- Chop broccoli into small florets and steam. When it is tender, remove from heat to prevent it from continuing to cook.Drain any excess water and add broccoli to the pot with the pasta.
- In a smaller pot, melt 2 tablespoons vegan butter. Whisk in the flour until it forms a paste. Slowly stir in the soy milk, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, and salt. Heat until it thickens, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the vegan cheese until it has melted. Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and broccoli mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Butter two pieces of bread and slice into small pieces. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until bread crumbs are crispy.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Amber Dawn Anderson