Unlike Shitake mushrooms, that have a strong, earthy flavor, Bella mushrooms are very mild. This makes them perfect to use in marinated dishes, since they soak up whatever flavors you add to the pan! In this case, the bite-sized mushrooms are marinated in a sweet and salty lime sauce. Bring this dish to your next potluck and even mushroom haters will enjoy this flavorful dish!
Lime-Marinated Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 5 cups baby Bella mushrooms, lightly packed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
For the Marinating Sauce:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (squeezed from fresh lime)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Use cold water to rinse the mushrooms and then pat dry them with paper towel. Cut the mushrooms in half lengthwise.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add oil after the pan is hot and then wait for 15 seconds until the oil is hot. Reduce the heat to medium and add halved mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms start getting soft, approximately 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the red onion, red pepper, 2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves, and the marinating sauce ingredients. Toss in mushrooms and combine gently. Cover the mixing bowl with lid and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves and serve.
If you would like the mushrooms to be served raw, you can skip the cooking step and let the mushrooms marinate for 4 hours to enhance the flavor.