These zucchini fritters are beautifully spiced, golden-brown discs of deliciousness. The zucchinis are salted and pressed before being mixed with a bold blend of herbs and spices. This fritters can be served on their own or you can put them inside of a pita for a tasty wrap.
Light and Crispy Zucchini Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3-4 tablespoons rice flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Grate zucchini on the large side of a box grater. Place in a mixing bowl along with 1tsp of salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze out all the water and place it in a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, cayenne pepper (if using), ground cumin, ground coriander, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Next, add chickpea flour and rice flour. Mix well to form a dough that is a little tacky but not too watery. Add a little more chickpea flour if the mixture doesn't hold its shape.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a non-stick or cast iron pan. Take about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture and gently place it in the hot oil. Flatten lightly in the back of a spoon. Cook undisturbed for about 2-3 minutes until the fritter is lightly golden.
- Gently flip and cook for another 2 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot as is or with some vegan yogurt or mint chutney.