This dish has all the comfort of a pasta dish with a light and fresh touch from the greens and avocados. Tomatoes, hot spices, and lentils are combined in a sauce that's "meaty" and savory. This inventive take on pasta is perfect to take with you to potlucks, where it'll be the first dish to disappear.
Lentil Enchilada Pasta [Vegan]
For the Lentil Enchilada Sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup water, plus 1/4 cup broth, for cooking
- 2 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons whole grain flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces penne, or pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Fresh greens, such as kale, spinach, and arugula
- 1 avocado
- Paprika and nutritional yeast, for topping
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, move onto the sauce.
- In medium pot, add in garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook in 1/3 cup water, plus 1/4 cup broth over medium heat, until the onion and celery are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients for the sauce, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, bring down to low and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in pasta and cilantro.
- Serve with fresh greens and avocado, plus a sprinkle of paprika and nutritional yeast.