These Vegan Lentil Curry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes make for a great weeknight meal - easy to make and full of flavor, yet hearty and healthy! They are full of protein and just absolutely delicious. And they are not difficult to make! Try them out!
Lentil Curry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes [Vegan]
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F, wash sweet potatoes and prick multiple times with fork all over. Add to baking sheet and bake 40-45 minutes or until flesh is fully cooked and very soft.
- While sweet potatoes cook, add 3/4 cups lentils to sauce pan with 1 1/2 cups water, cover with lid and bring to boil, then simmer until cooked through. (Cook according to length of time on packaging, some cook in 15-20 minutes, others require more like 35-40 minutes). Remove from heat once cooked.
- Meanwhile, add coconut oil, chopped onions and garlic to large sauce pan, cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, add chopped bell pepper and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes or until onions and garlic begin to golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, almond milk, and all seasonings and simmer on low for five minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, cut the skin off the top of each then use a fork to break apart and mash the cooked flesh.
- Top each sweet potato with 1/6 lentil curry mixture. Garnish with fresh herbs, serve hot.