This hearty lentil cashew loaf is as tasty as it is simple – and it's really simple. The lentils and cashews make a dense moist loaf while the sundried tomatoes accent the flavor perfectly. The loaf is finished with a savory glaze that puts this dish over the top.
Lentil Cashew Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Loaf:
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 15-ounce can brown lentils, drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free, if necessary)
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Loaf:
- Fry the onion and garlic in some oil for around 5 minutes and set them aside.
- Blend the cashew in a food processor until it's fine.
- Add the onion and garlic, along with the brown lentils, kidney beans, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Blend the mixture until well.
- Transfer mixture into a mixing bowl and add the grated carrots and breadcrumbs. Mix everything up with your hands.
- Add this mixture to a loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 355°F.
To Make the Glaze:
- Mix all of the glaze ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring them to a boil.
- Simmer them for a few minutes and then pour over the loaf after it's cooked for 30 minutes.
- Cook the loaf for a further 30 minutes with the glaze on top
- Let the loaf cool down for about 30 minutes before taking it out of the loaf tin.