This lentil and beetroot salad is perfect for a simple and easy but lovely meal! The tofu and fresh herbs give it a lot of flavor, and you'll be amazed by how the sweetness of the beets and the heartiness of the lentils combine to make a filling lunch.
Lentil and Beetroot Salad with Tofu Feta [Vegan]
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups cooked beetroots, diced
- 1 handful almonds, chopped
- 1 handful fresh dill, minced
- 1 handful fresh parsley, minced
- Tofu feta:
- 1/2 organic farm tofu block (about 8 ounces)
- The juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- A generous pinch of coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano and dried basil
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Make the tofu feta: Drain the tofu well by rolling it up in a clean cloth and squeezing it until no more liquid drips. Crumble it roughly or cut into cubes and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix marinade ingredients. Pour over the tofu and mix well. If necessary, add a little water so that the tofu is covered. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour. (If your bowl does not have a lid, cover it with a plate instead of plastic wrap). When serving, take out the required amount and return the rest to the fridge. Drain well by pressing with your fingers, crumble if desired.
- Put all the ingredients in a salad bowl and mix well.
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar, add the lid and shake well.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad, mix well and let sit for at least 20 minutes before eating.
The quantities are for reference, so you can adjust them to your preferences! The feta can be kept a few days in the fridge, in its liquid.