These breadsticks aren't like anything you'll find in a restaurant. In this recipe, protein-rich lentils are mashed with tofu and spices, with the surprise addition of mustard greens. These breadsticks are crispier than what you may be used to, but they will leave you wanting more. These are best served fresh with a rich tomato sauce for dipping.
Lentil and Mustard Green Breadsticks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup red lentil (rinsed)
- 1 cup chopped mustard green
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup extra firm silken tofu, mashed
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- In a pressure cooker or a pan combine the lentils, mustard greens, and water. Then cook until the lentils are soft and all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner.
- In a mixing bowl combine almond flour, cumin seeds, crushed pepper flakes, baking powder, and salt, and mix, making sure to eliminate all lumps.
- Now add the lentil mixture, silken tofu, maple syrup, and olive oil to the same bowl and mix very well with your hands.
- When the dough starts to get sticky, try to smooth the dough between your palms and start flattening it from the center.
- The dough will be sticky and extremely soft. Gently put the dough in the center of the cookie sheet and flatten with the palm of your hand by pressing down on the center of the dough as evenly as possible. Also make sure to avoid breaking from the sides. You may have to use two hands to control the sides and flatten from the center at the same time.
- Flatten the dough as much as possible, but don’t overdo it. Now place the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let it cool down completely before cutting into desired slices, or else it will break.
- Garnish the breadsticks with your choice of herbs and serve with your favorite dip or enjoy as is.