These stuffed onions are so simple, but so flavorful, and so delicious. White onions are stuffed with a savory mixture of lentils, chickpeas, red onion, and mushrooms that is puréed until crumbly. Then, they are baked until the onion halves are crispy around the edges and pleasantly sweet, savory, and a little tangy. These may be a side dish, but guests will be scrambling for them like they're the main course.
Lentil and Mushroom Stuffed Onions [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil and Mushroom Stuffed Onions [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Onions:
- 2 white onions
For the Stuffing:
- 1 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly minced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 3/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Lentil and Mushroom Stuffed Onions [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Stuffing:
- Cook all of the ingredients for the stuffing up to the mushrooms in a pan until soft.
- Place that and the remaining ingredients, except for the bread crumbs, into a food processor and pulse until combined and uniform, but still slightly chunky. Transfer into a large bowl and box in the bread crumbs.
To Make the Stuffed Onions:
- Peel the white onions and slice in half, removing about 1/3 from the core.
- Place in the oven at 375 F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow it to slightly cool, then stuff with filling and place in a 375°F oven for 40 minutes, or until slightly browned on the edges. Serve with sliced scallions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.