Winter is the time for comfort foods, like warm and hearty pasta dishes, topped with the perfect sauce. In this recipe, lentils and mushrooms transform a basic tomato sauce into a sauce that's hearty and filling. This rich sauce tastes amazing on and kind of pasta, or rice noodles.
Lentil and Mushroom Ragu [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 8 ounces mushrooms, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in water until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and bay leaf, lentils, and water. Cover the sauce, and allow everything to simmer until the fresh tomatoes cook down and the lentils are cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.