Variations of lemon meringue pie have been around for centuries and for a good reason. Lemon cream and fluffy meringue were just meant to be eaten together on a crumbly pie crust. The old-fashioned way of making meringue involves the use of egg whites, but this pie uses aquafaba, the liquid from canned chickpeas, instead. The results are amazing and the process of making this recipe is faster than your traditional lemon meringue pie — it's done within 30 minutes.
Lemon Meringue Pie With Coconut Flour Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lemon Meringue Pie With Coconut Flour Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crumble Dough:
- 1/8 cup, plus 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, solid
- 1 3/4 tablespoons sugar
- Scant 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- A pinch of salt
For the Lemon Cream:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons non-dairy cream
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, more or less to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar
- A tiny pinch turmeric powder, for color (optional)
For the Meringue:
- 3 cups, plus 2 3/4 tablespoons very cold aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
How to Prepare Lemon Meringue Pie With Coconut Flour Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Crumble:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Start by preparing the dough.
- In a bowl, add sugar, coconut flour, and almond meal. combine using your hands and then gradually add the coconut oil. It should have a creamy texture, like soft butter. Mix all ingredients together until it has a crumbly, shortbread-like texture.
- Crumble the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
To Make the Lemon Cream:
- While the crumble bakes, make the lemon cream. In a saucepan, add all lemon cream ingredients, including the turmeric powder, if using. Mix all ingredients with a whisk and then heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until a thick consistency is achieved, less than 5 minutes. When thickened, remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
To Make the Meringue:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, add the aquafaba. Beat the aquafaba on high for a few minutes, until it starts to get frothy and expand in size. Gradually add the powdered sugar and lemon juice, continuing to beat the aquafaba until stiff peaks form. This takes longer than traditional meringue.
To Assemble the Lemon Meringue Pie:
- Use a container of your choice, like a bowl, glass, or mason jar.
- Add the crumble to your container, saving some for the topping. Next, add the lemon cream. Finally, add the meringue. If you want it to look nice, you can add it using a pastry bag. If your container is oven-safe, or if you have a kitchen torch, you can caramelize the meringue a little before topping with more crumble.
- Alternatively, you can serve this parfait-style in a tall glass. Just repeat the steps to assembling the lemon meringue pie twice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.