This is the most simple and delicious vegan lemon cake you will ever make! It is fluffy inside and you can’t believe there are no eggs or dairy in this cake. Great texture. The frosting adds sweetness and the candy lemons can be added or not (your preference). You can get creative with the frosting and assembly of this cake. The mix will work equally as well as cupcakes.
Lemon Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2/5 cup vegetable oil
- 3/5 cup cold water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon soy milk (you could use almond milk / rice milk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide between the 2 cake tins (the cake will rise so don’t worry if it looks like there isn’t enough cake mix).
- Mix everything together in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Slice the lemons into uniform rings. Mix the sugar and water together on low heat and add the lemon slices. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and place on baking paper and into the fridge.
- Assemble the cake any way you like and enjoy!
- Make sure the cake is cool before frosting (unless you want it to melt over the sides, which is also very cool!)