This lemon cake with blueberries and glaze on top is vegan, super moist, and delicious.
Lemon Blueberry Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lemon Blueberry Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 170 g (6 oz or 3/4 cup) of sugar
- 250 g (8.8 oz or 1 cup) unsweetened (soy) yogurt
- 110 ml (3.7 oz or 0.5 cup) rapeseed oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 organic lemon: The juice from it (it should be at least 50 ml / 1.7 oz/ 3.5 tablespoons), if it is a little more that's fine too) and the grated zest
- 150 g (5.3 oz or 1 cup) wheat or spelt flour
- 150 g (5.3 oz or 1 cup) whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 g (3.5 oz or 0.5 cup) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoon blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 125 g (4.4 oz or 1 cup) icing sugar
How to Prepare Lemon Blueberry Cake [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 360°F, top/bottom heat.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sugar, soy yogurt, oil, lemon juice, and zest (I usually do this with my kitchen machine).
- Next, add both types of flour (white flour and wholemeal flour) and the baking powder. Continue stirring.
- Then stir in the blueberries and pour the dough into the greased cake tin.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 45-50 minutes. After 45 minutes, do the toothpick test: poke a toothpick into the cake and see if the dough sticks to it continue baking, or not, which means it's done.
- When the cake is ready, turn off the oven, open the door and let the cake cool down a bit.
- For the frosting, blend the blueberries, lemon juice, and powdered sugar in a food processor or another small blender. Pour the frosting over the still-warm cake to “soak” it, or over the cooled cake for a bit thicker icing.
The cake tastes nice and fresh for a few days. It is best to store the lemon cake in a sealed cake container or a large Tupperware container.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.