This sponge cake is very easy to make, it lasts for 3-4 days in an airtight container but also keeps really well in the fridge. On hot days it is ideal to store in the fridge to ensure the topping doesn’t melt.
Lemon and Blueberry Sponge With a Pecan and Pumpkin Seed Crunch Top [Vegan]
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 4 cups plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup melted dairy free spread
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Shake of salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 3 lemons
- Pecans – to decorate
- Pumpkin Seeds to decorate
- Preheat oven to 360ºF.
- Melt the butter – set aside to cool.
- Add the dry ingredients (sugars, flour (sifted), baking powder, salt) to a mixing bowl and stir with a fork to combine.
- Add the melted butter, plant milk and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients, stir well to combine.
- Add the juice of one lemon and combine.
- Wash and pat dry the blueberries. Toss in flour to prevent them sinking to the bottom of the cake. Ensure all blueberries are coated in a little dusting of flour.
- Stir the blueberries into the cake mix and combine gently.
- Decant into a lined baking tray ensuring the top of the cake is level. I use a rectangular tray measuring 12×9 inches.
- Bake at 360ºF for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Zest the lemons and squeeze the juice – set aside.
- Pour the icing sugar into a large bowl and add the freshly squeezed lemon juice slowly, stirring as you go until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake adding pecans, pumpkin seeds and lemon zest to garnish.
- Allow to set fully before cutting.