The butternut noodles have this good carb-satisfying texture, despite having far fewer carbs and calories than grain-based noodles. However, the true star here is the part-skim cashew ricotta! It's cut with cauliflower, so it still retains its creaminess.
Lasagna with Butternut Noodles and “Part-Skim” Cashew-Cauliflower Ricotta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lasagna:
- 1 butternut squash, preferably oval shaped, about 3 1/4 -3 1/2 lbs
- Huge handful of basil
- 28 oz can of your favorite tomato sauce
For the Part-skim Cashew Ricotta:
- 1 head of cauliflower, about 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 lbs
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 can of northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened unflavored almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- Rough-chop the cauliflower. Steam for 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, place the cashews in a small microwave-safe bowl. Pour water over to cover, nuke 8 minutes. Drain.
- Place the cauliflower in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze squeeze squeeze all the moisture out of it
- Place the cauliflower, the tapioca flour, the white beans, the cashews, the almond milk, and the nutritional yeast in a blender. Blend until smooth and even.
- Taste the part-skim cashew ricotta and add salt as needed, blend again.
- Peel and thinly slice the butternut squash (about 1/6-1/4 inch is good). These are your lasagna noodles!
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place a layer of butternut lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 8 by 8 inch glass pan
- Spread a thick layer of part-skim cashew ricotta over the noodles, and add a layer of basil leaves.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce.
- Continue to layer noodles, cashew ricotta, basil, and tomato sauce.
- If desired, take a few leftover noodles and cut them into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place on top.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. You should be able to pierce the noodles all the way through with a fork. Once done, add a few more basil leaves on top.
- Serve with love.