This recipe for Korean BBQ sauce is a lifesaver because it's very easy to throw together and the sauce is astoundingly versatile. The thick BBQ sauce is equal parts sweet, salty, savory, and delicious. Plus, you can whip up a batch and store it in your refrigerator for a quick addition to almost any dish.
Korean BBQ Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons scallions
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients except for the arrowroot and water.
- Whisk everything together and bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and water until it dissolves.
- Gradually pour the mixture into the boiling sauce, while continuously whisking it, for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow it to simmer for 3-5 minutes. The sauce should become thick and syrupy.
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool before pouring the sauce into a jar.