These pan-seared, plant-based "scallops" served with quick-pickled rhubarb, sliced avocado, cucumber, and edamame, are the perfect starter for any party. The key to vegan scallops are King Mushrooms. When you slice the stems into rounds, they look exactly like scallops. They even have that slightly rubbery bite that you get with scallops. You could serve this on a platter or in individual portions on spoons. Either way, it’s an elegant starter for your next party.
King Mushroom ‘Scallops’ [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 King mushrooms
- 1-2 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar (preferably apple cider)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/4 cup edamame beans or fresh corn
- Fresh chives or green onion
- Quick pickle the rhubarb. In a small saucepan on the stove, heat together the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt until they are all melted together.
- Bring just to the boil. Place the rhubarb in a heat-proof bowl and pour the pickling liquid over it and allow it to stand while you do the rest of your prep.
- Chop the avocado and cucumber, and place in another bowl. Add the edamame and stir well.
- Top and tail the king mushrooms. Set aside the caps and ends for another use. Cut the mushroom in half and then each half into halves, giving you 4 circles of mushroom stem.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, and add oil to the pan. It’ important that the pan and oil are hot to get a good sear. Place the mushrooms into the pan, and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and a little garlic powder. Once they are caramelized on one side, flip, and allow to cook to a similar doneness on the other side.
- Drain the rhubarb, reserving some of the pickling liquid. Add the rhubarb, a little of the pickling liquid and some olive oil to your salsa, and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the salsa on a plate in a pile, and then top with “scallops.” Garnish with sliced green onions or chives.