This easy sushi roll is great because it takes almost no time to make, it's absolutely delicious, and the spicy 'mayonnaise' that is drizzled on the top is too good for words. The sushi's flavor is a delicate balance – the cucumbers offer the freshness, avocados offer the creaminess and finally, the kimchi adds just the right sourness and punch of flavor.
Kimchi Cucumber and Avocado Sushi [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sushi:
- Sushi rice, cooked as per package instructions
- Cucumber, julienned
- Avocado, sliced
- Kimchi, thinly sliced
- Nori sheets
- Sesame seeds
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk or water
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (or other hot sauce), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the rice as per the package's instructions. Once it's cooked, let it cool a bit until it is easy to handle.
- Lay down a nori sheet and place some rice over about one-third to one-half of the sheet.
- Layer the remaining sushi ingredients into a single line in the middle of the rice section.
- Roll the sushi using a sushi mat or just your hands. Make sure to wet the end of the nori sheet with some water to help it stick.
- Lay down the roll on the side where the nori sheet it sticking to itself until you are done with all the rolls.
- Cut the rolls into bite-sized pieces.
- Make the spicy mayonnaise-style sauce by blending the cashews, cashew milk (or water), Sriracha, lime juice and black pepper.
- Drizzle it on top of sushis and serve as is or with a bit of soy sauce in a sauce bowl.