If you are a fan of rice pudding, and you haven’t yet experienced the Indian version, you must try this recipe! This healthier version uses brown rice, coconut milk, and date syrup. Top with lots of cinnamon and a bit of extra coconut milk for a creamy, dreamy dessert.
Kheer: Indian Rice Pudding [Vegan]
- 1 cup basmati brown rice
- 3 cardamom pods or 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons date syrup
- Chopped pistachios (optional)
- Cook the rice as you normally would, in the two cups of water, with the cardamom pods. NOTE: You may want to remove the pods after the rice cooks. I just leave them in, but make sure to tell your guests so they are not surprised when they find one! If you don’t have cardamom pods on hand and don’t want to buy them for just one recipe, you could sub with 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, but add it at the end with the other ingredients, not to the rice while it cooks.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and refrigerate.
- Serve with some chopped pistachios.