The lentil meatballs in this recipe are deceptively easy to make; they're dense, meaty, and a little bit spicy. If you're not a fan of kale, then try massaging the leaves prior to serving — it will make them tender and less bitter. Topped with sliced red onion and fresh cherry tomatoes, this salad is both colorful and full of different flavors and textures. Serve with a drizzle of the leftover barbecue mustard sauce.
Kale Salad With Lentil Meatballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the BBQ Mustard Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
For the Lentil Meatballs:
- 1 tablespoon BBQ mustard sauce
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, or 1/2 cup uncooked lentils
For the Salad:
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Kale, chopped
To Make the BBQ Mustard Sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
To Make the Lentil Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- If you use uncooked lentils, cook them according to the manufacturer's instructions and let them cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the lentil meatballs in the bowl of blender or food processor. Process until you get a smooth mixture that is sticky. Form small balls and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.
To Assemble the Salad:
- Chop tomatoes, onion, and kale. The chopped kale might be a bit rough at first, so massage with a bit of water and lemon juice to make it tender. When done, add the tomatoes and onions. When the lentil meatballs are done, serve with the salad and a drizzle of BBQ mustard sauce.