Cheesy and dripping in oil, pizza has a notorious rep for being a greasy and indulgent snack. Thankfully, many creative minds have taken the idea of pizza and have created healthy and energizing versions of this famous dish. Take this kale pesto pizza. With greens, juicy cherry tomatoes, walnuts, and a refreshing kale pesto spread are set atop a cauliflower head crust, this is a pizza you can feel good about eating.
Kale Pesto Pizza [Vegan]
For the Pizza:
- 1-2 cauliflower heads
- Kale pesto (recipe below)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Greens, like arugula or watercress
- Walnuts for garnish (optional)
For the Kale Pesto:
- 16 ounces kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
To Make the Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Cut the cauliflower lengthwise into thumb thick slices and transfer them to a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Season the cauliflower slices with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with a dash of olive oil, if you like. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, make the kale pesto.
- When the cauliflower crust is done baking, place a good amount of the pesto, greens, and cherry tomatoes on top and garnish with some crushed roasted walnuts.
To Make the Kale Pesto:
- Wash and chop the kale. Transfer to the bowl of a blender.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts. Let cool a bit, then add to the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.