These are a very sweet treat. You may be sugared out after three of them, although they taste less sweet the next day.
Jewish Bimuelos: Fried ‘Honey’ Puffs [Vegan]
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, plus 6 tablespoons warm water
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting OR
- 2 cups all-purpose flour and 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour OR
- 4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups agave nectar or vegan honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan sprinkles
- Mix the flax seed with the warm water in a small bowl or cup and let sit for 10 minutes until it is thickened and gelatinous. Mix the flax gel, soy milk, apple sauce, melted butter, and vanilla together in a small bowl.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together into a large mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon and zest. Make a well by pushing the flour mix to the sides of the bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry in the well. Work the flour into the well and mix well until you have a dough that is smooth and evenly blended. Gather it into a ball and transfer the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead the dough for about 4 minutes, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour.
- After the hour, remove the dough from the plastic wrap. Pull a plum size piece of dough from the main dough. Roll the piece into a ball and then roll the ball into a long, thin rod, approximately 1/4-inch thick. Cut the long rod into small pieces about 3/4-inch . Roll the small pieces into balls. Repeat until you have used all the dough. Dust the balls with flour.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot until it reaches 350°F or until bubbles form around an inserted wooden spoon. Add the balls using a spider, about 10 at a time, shaking off any excess flour, and let fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large pot, heat the vegan honey or agave, sugar and water together over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. It will foam; it’s supposed to. Let cook about 7 minutes until it thickens a bit and the color darkens. Don’t cook it longer than this or it will turn into caramel. Have a small bowl of cool water nearby.
- Remove the honey mixture from the heat and add the balls immediately. Mix until the balls are covered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the honey balls to a serving platter. Dip your hands into the cool water before touching the balls because they are really, really hot. Arrange the balls in a pile to resemble a tree. Add sprinkles.