These aren't the tater tots you remember from school lunches — no, these are way better. Made from Japanese sweet potato and regular ol' potatoes, then spiced up with fresh herbs and coated in panko, these tater tots are something special. They're baked and then broiled to ensure an addictive crispiness and served alongside a colorful, spicy, and creamy tahini dip.
Japanese Sweet Potato Tots [Vegan]
For the Tots:
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato, boiled and cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup panko
For the Tahini Dip:
To Make the Japanese Sweet Potato Tots:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Boil all the potatoes over low heat until soft
- Once your potatoes are cool, mash them in a large bowl and add the remainder of the ingredients, except for the panko.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and drizzle 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop some of the mashed potatoes to create your tots, making square/rectangular shapes.
- Roll your tots in the panko and place them onto the baking sheet
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, flip them, and cook for another 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- After 25 minutes, change your oven to the broil setting at 525°F and cook for another 15 minutes. Check on them often to avoid burning, as this can happen easily.
To Make the Dip:
- Add all the ingredients into a small bowl, and stir well until fully combined.
Yields 20 tots.
- Potato Recipes