Celebrate Caribbean food with this delicious tofu scramble. This fusion dish uses traditional Caribbean foods like ackee (a mild tasting fruit that pairs well with savoury dishes) and callaloo (similar to spinach) along with the typical tofu scramble seasonings like turmeric, garlic, and coriander. The result is a unique and supremely flavorful entrée that can be enjoyed for breakfast or brunch!
Jamaican Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 14-ounce package of plain tofu
- 1 19-ounce can Jamaican callaloo in water
- 1 19-ounce can Jamaican ackee in water
- 1 14-ounce can peas and beans
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Juice from 1 lime
- A small bunch of coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- Olive oil
- Lime juice, to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Press tofu to extract as much liquid as possible
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, diced red pepper, and all-purpose seasoning. Fry gently until soft.
- Drain ackee and callaloo. Rinse and drain canned peas and beans.
- Add ackee, callaloo, peas and beans to frying pan. Mix together.
- Add tofu, turmeric, and water to the pan. While all is cooking, break tofu to a scramble with a fork.
- Cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Season to taste with lime juice and chopped coriander.
- Serve with additional lime juice, chopped coriander, and hot sauce on the side.