Soda bread is a wonderful treat for any time of the day. It’s best as a side with some soup, but it’s also lovely at breakfast! With jam or butter, it's a hearty start to the day, worlds better than a slice of toasted WonderBread. This baked oatmeal is different than others because it’s significantly less sweet. If you take a look at the recipe, you’ll notice there’s no sweetener involved. After all, it’s meant to replicate the taste of bread, and a very simple bread! You could also top it with your favorite jam.
Irish Soda Bread Baked Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a single-serving ramekin with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, add milk and lemon juice, stir, and let sit for about five minutes. (This is a replacement for the traditional buttermilk.)
- Add in dry ingredients: oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add raisins and other optional ingredients (caraway seeds, sunflower seeds, other dried fruits like cherries, currants, and cranberries) and stir.
- Transfer to the ramekin and bake for 18-21 minutes.
You can also added 1/3 cup pureed zucchini. Reduce liquid to 1/4 cup.