Hunkwe is a mung bean starch powder used mainly for making traditional Indonesian cake. In this particular recipe, hunkwe is combined with bananas, sugar, and coconut milk to create a creamy treat. Simple, delicious, and when cut into squares, perfectly shareable.
Indonesian Banana Cake [Vegan]
- Banana, cut into slices
- 1 packet of mung bean starch powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Line your baking pan or any mould with saran plastic. Add enough banana slices to cover the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- In a pot, mix together the mung bean powder, sugar, salt, and coconut milk (the amount of sugar, salt, and coconut milk should follow the instruction in that comes on the powder packet).
- Cook on medium-high, stirring constantly (very important) until it becomes a homogenous thick white liquid. During the entire cooking process, you will observe that the liquid is first very thin and runny, then some lumps will appear, then the entire thing looks super lumpy and bumpy, then smooth white thick liquid. Once the liquid bubbles, then it is ready. Quickly pour the entire batch into the baking pan and gently tap the baking pan to flatten.
- Let it set at room temperature. Once it sets, chill in a refrigerator for 1 hour. To serve, cut into serving portions.