These hakka noodles are the perfect example of Indo-Chinese food – a fusion cuisine that combines the flavors of India and China. The main component of the noodles is the spicy sauce made with garlic, ginger, chili sauce, and tomato paste. The other usual Chinese ingredients like soy sauce and vinegar also make an appearance here. Serve with a medley of veggies and tofu for a tasty, substantial meal.
Indo-Chinese Hakka Noodles With Vegetables [Vegan]
For the Noodles:
- 1 package of hakka noodles
- 1 large carrot, shredded or cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup French beans, sliced
- 1 cup tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt, to taste
For the Sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger piece, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- To make the sauce, blend all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender until a smooth paste. Make sure that the sauce is not too runny.
- Cook the noodles as per package directions, then drain and spread on a large plate or baking sheet with a drizzle of oil to avoid sticking together.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil and add the cubed tofu. Cook on medium-high heat until golden brown on all sides. Remove onto a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Wipe the wok or skillet and heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil, add chili flakes and onions. Cook on medium-high heat until the onions turn translucent. Add the ground paste and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the raw taste of the garlic disappears. Lower the heat and add soy sauce and vinegar. Mix well.
- Increase the heat and add the bell pepper, carrot, and beans. Cook until the vegetables are crisp/tender, they should still retain their color and crunch. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for 1-2 minutes. Finally add the noodles, combine until all the ingredients are well mixed. Cook for 3-4 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve hot.