Making a filling, flavorful, and delicious soup doesn’t have to take hours. In 30 minutes or less, you can have a pot of healthy vegan soup ready for dinner. This Indian-inspired soup incorporates curry powder, coconut milk, and fresh cilantro for lush, aromatic flavors.
Indian Eggplant Soup [Vegan]
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1/2 chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 12-ounce can tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler. Lightly grease baking sheet with coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil).
- Place eggplant, bell pepper, onion, apple, vinegar, mustard and salt in large mixing bowl, and toss to combine and coat vegetables well. Place vegetables on large baking sheet.
- Broil vegetables in middle of oven, stirring every 5 minutes, until browned and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside until ready to use.
- Combine roasted vegetables in food processor or blender, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, sugar, tomato juice and 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Process, adding water to thin if needed, and working in batches if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat, garnish with cilantro, if desired, and serve hot.