Imbuljuta tal-Qastan is a traditional Maltese drink served after Midnight Mass on Christmas as well as on New Year’s Eve. This spicy drink, includes chestnuts, citrus, and a blend of holiday spices for a drink that's truly festive.
Imbuljuta tal-Qastan: Maltese Christmas Drink [Vegan]
- 2 cups dried peeled chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon spice blend (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, to your liking)
- Rind of 1 tangerine
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Wash and soak the chestnuts for at least 8 hours.
- Drain and put the chestnuts in a pan. Add 4 cups of water, cinnamon, cloves, cocoa powder, sugar, spice blend, and mandarin rind cut into small pieces.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the chestnuts are tender, about 1 hour.
- At the end of cooking, break the chestnuts into small pieces with a large spoon without crushing them.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and add to slightly thicken the sauce.
- Serve hot in a cup or a bowl.