These hush puppies are the perfect finger food for a cocktail party or if you're having friends over to watch the game. They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and finished with a creamy remoulade. Be sure you save a few for yourself in the kitchen, because once these hit the table, they will disappear quickly.
Hushpuppies With Remoulade [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Hushpuppies:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 3-4 clove garlic, minced
- 3 scallions- minced
- 1/4 cup corn
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Oil, as needed for frying
For the Remoulade
- Lightly sauté the garlic, shallot, and scallions on a stove until they're soft and translucent.
- Set them aside.
- Add all dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and seasonings) to a large bowl and evenly mix them.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the "eggs" with the coconut milk, scallion/onion/garlic mixture and the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the cornmeal mixture until just blended.
- Cover and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour.
- In a medium sized skillet or cast iron skillet, heat a hefty amount of oil (1/2-inch at least) to 325°F.
- Set a large rack over a baking sheet. Drop 6 rounded tablespoons of batter at a time into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until the hush puppies are browned and crisp. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the hush puppos to the rack to drain.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the remoulade together until they form a smooth sauce.
- Serve the hush puppies hot with the remoulade.