Got some extra veggie dogs lying around that you don't know what to do with? If so, this recipe is easy to make, creative, zingy, and tangy.
Hot Dog with Apple Mustard Compote and Vanilla Pickled Onion [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Hot Dog with Apple Mustard Compote and Vanilla Pickled Onion [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Apple and Mustard Compote:
- 3 tart apples
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Vanilla Pickled Onion:
- 1 large white onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean
- Pinch of black pepper
For the Hot Dogs:
- 4 veggie hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Garnish such as watercress, cilantro, parsley, etc.
How to Prepare Hot Dog with Apple Mustard Compote and Vanilla Pickled Onion [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Apple and Mustard Compote:
- Rinse and peel the apples. Cut into small pieces. Add to a saucepan with 50 mL (almost 4 tablespoons) of water. Bring it to a light simmer and cook until the apple pieces are soft and start to come together to a compote.
- Now add maple syrup and mustard, cook for another 15 minutes. If it gets dry, add more water a little at a time.
- Finish off with a pinch of salt and leave to cool.
To Make the Vanilla Pickled Onion:
- Peel the onion and cut it in half. Now cut each half into strips.
- Add water, vinegar, and sugar to a saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a light simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Now add in the remaining ingredients and take off the heat. Let it cool to room temperature and pour over the onion. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
To Make the Hot Dogs:
- Follow instructions on the recipe or packaging.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.