I have been baking a few different bread recipes recently, and I think it’s because I am craving a variety. If we want anything other than white rolls or plain sliced bread here, the only option is to make it ourselves; there simply is no variety whatsoever. These pitas are not only easy, but they're even versatile too. Try them with some falafel, as the base for a vegan pizza, or even in place of sandwich bread. Delicious!
Homemade Pita Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Homemade Pita Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 Tbsp instant dried yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
How to Prepare Homemade Pita Bread [Vegan]
- In a large bowl mix the flours, instant yeast and salt, then drizzle in the olive oil
- Add 1 cup of warm water and start to mix and knead into a dough, adding a little more water as needed. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until you have a very soft but not sticky dough.
- Place back into a lighly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide dough into 6 and roll into smooth balls. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes while you preheat the oven.
- The key to making pita bread is a very hot oven, so make sure your oven heats to 475°F.
- Roll the dough balls out to 1/4 inch thick ovals, then place on a lightly floured baking sheet. (I cook just two at a time).
- Place baking sheet contain two of the dough ovals in oven and bake for 4-5 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 2 minutes until browned.
- They should have puffed up and will be full of steam so be careful as you set them aside to cool. Continue to bake the rest of the dough ovals the same until you have pitas.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.