I love trying to re-create healthy versions of unhealthy foods. Cereal is one of those things I didn’t think I could try, but boy was I wrong! This gluten-free and vegan homemade Cinnamon Toast Crunch came out awesome where homemade cereal is concerned!
Homemade Cinnamon Toast Crunch [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean or extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Optional coating: 2 tablespoons coconut sugar plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Once everything is combined, gather the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic.
- Stick it in the fridge to firm up (I waited about an hour).
- Once firm, cut the dough in half with a bench scraper.
- Put one half on top of a sheet of parchment paper that has been lightly sprinkled with flour.
- Take the plastic wrap the dough was wrapped in, and place it on top of the dough. That way, you can roll the dough thin without it sticking to the rolling pin.
- Roll the dough as thin as you can. It will probably cover the entire baking sheet. If you want to add the sugar coating, you can do it now.
- Just brush the dough with water, and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top. I didn’t even do that and it was still good.
- Use a pizza cutter to score the dough. I cut mine into little squares, but they were not all uniform.
- Once you have done all that, repeat the steps with the second half of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Then carefully flip each piece and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Watch the cereal carefully, because it can burn easily. Also, I stored it in a glass jar in the pantry. It should last at least a week or two. Enjoy!