These herb beer muffins are light, airy and delicious. Make them in the morning, so your kitchen smells amazing throughout they day. They are the perfect afternoon snacks and will definitely help you make it through your day. The beer bubbles up and makes the batter super fluffy; the combination of herbs give these such a fresh flavor. You are going to love these herb beer muffins!
Herb Beer Muffins [Vegan]
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, or zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
For the Topping:
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, raw and shelled
- 1/16 teaspoon sea salt, or a small pinch
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a muffin pan, insert 12 paper liners (they even make recycled now!) or parchment paper squares.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt, whisk to both combine and sift.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add beer and grapeseed oil. Stir only a few times then add lemon zest and herbs. Stir lightly just until combined and herbs and zest are mixed throughout the batter. Avoid over mixing to keep the batter light and fluffy.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil. Add the raw sunflower seeds and a pinch of salt to the pan to lightly toast, about 2 minutes, just until they become a light golden color. Keep a close eye because the seeds will burn quickly.
- Using a spoon or when the seeds have slightly cooled, sprinkle a few seeds on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes.