Forget everything you know about traditional veggie pot pies – this will be your new go-to! The rich, comforting flavors of curry spice, coconut milk, and ginger enveloped in a flaky pie crust will warm you right up on a cold winter evening.
Hearty Winter Curry Pie [Vegan]
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 large brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Small handful raisins
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms. Cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and carrots begin to soften. Stir in beans and frozen peas.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice, and spices. Modify spices to taste by adding more ginger or cayenne, if necessary. Stir in raisins and cook for two minutes more, until they begin to plump.
- Spoon mixture into a small 2-quart casserole and lay puff pastry over the top. Cut pastry and crimp to fit pan. Dash steam vents in top of pastry.
- Bake at 400°F for approximately 25-30 minutes. Serve.