This Greek soup is so delicious made vegan! It is creamy, packed with veggies, and so warming! The flavors in this soup are simply perfect. The lemon really ties everything together and allows more room for spicy heat from black pepper – an absolute must in this dish. The creaminess of the rice and miso really marries the soup while the miso and nutritional yeast adds a certain earthiness and warning effect. All in all, this soup is well balanced, filled with flavor and really easy to whip up when you’re in a pinch!
Hearty and Creamy Agvolemono [Vegan]
To Make the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sweet white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, finely chopped or cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, organic, no added salt
- 5-6 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Season to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or dill, finely chopped
To Make the Avgolemono:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cups stock from soup
- Into a large stock pot add your olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes, make sure to stir occasionally to avoid any browning or burning. You don't want the vegetables to develop any color, just want them translucent and soft.
- Once your veggies have cooked down for 10 minutes you can add your veg stock cubes, water, nutritional yeast, and tamari or soy sauce.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, lower heat and add your rice. Cook for around 20 minutes with the lid on or until your rice is cooked.
- While your soup is cooking prepare your sauce simply by adding all your ingredients into a blender and blending till smooth. NOTE: let your stock from soup cool for a few minutes before adding to the blender with other ingredients.
- If your rice is ready you can remove the pot from the heat and begin stirring in your lemon sauce. Continue stirring until well combined. Add your fresh dill or parsley and stir just once more.
- Give your soup a little taste test then add necessary seasoning.