We don’t have to sacrifice our oceans, the planet or animals to eat amazing food. This vegan calamari recipe is flavorful, light, crispy, and absolutely delicious. It's served with a classic cocktail sauce that perfectly complements the crispy, tempura-battered hearts of palm. Not to mention, it only requires a few ingredients and takes just half an hour to prepare.
Hearts of Palm Calamari [Vegan]
For the Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups tempura mix
- 1-2 cups ice-cold water
- 3 seaweed nori sheets, finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Calamari:
- 2 14-ounce cans hearts of palm, drained
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of choice
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Cocktail Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan ketchup
- 2 teaspoon extra hot horseradish
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
To Make the Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, add tempura mix.
- Slowly stir in ice-cold water until batter is thick and creamy, like pancake batter.
- Stir in the ground seaweed, salt, and pepper. Set this aside.
To Make the Calamari:
- Cut each heart of palm in half.
- Using your pinky or a straw, push out the soft center of the hearts of palm, leaving only a hollow barrel.
- Slice each barrel into 1 inch thick rings.
- In a large plastic bag, add the flour and the rest of the seasonings.
- Close the bag and shake it to ensure the flour and seasonings have been mixed together.
- Working in batches, add the calamari rings to batter first, then to a plastic bag.
- Toss the plastic bag gently until all the rings are fully coated.
- In a frying pan, on medium-high, heat, add coated rings to the oil.
- Cook them until they're golden brown and crispy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove rings from oil and transfer onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with cocktail sauce.