These super fluffy and moist pumpkin pecan muffins are a great way to kick off this cold weather. They are entirely gluten-free, vegan, and can be eaten with no regrets...treat yourself! Embedded with chunks of pecans and topped with a creamy hazelnut frosting, these muffins are delish!
Healthy Pumpkin Pecan Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoons flax seed meal + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup hazelnuts, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. Prepare the flax egg by mixing together flax seed meal and water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 min. In a separate small bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree and sugar. To that mixture, add the milk and flax egg. Stir until incorporated. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until combined. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Using a cookie scoop, fill each cupcake liner with batter until 3/4 full. Bake for 19-20 min. until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out dry. You still want a few crumbs attached to the toothpick, as that will mean it's perfectly moist and not over baked. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a high-speed blender, blend all frosting ingredients until thick and creamy. Frost muffins once cooled. Sprinkle with a bit of coconut sugar for decoration.