It's easy to get caught up with all of the different flavors and textures of food and forget that at the end of the day, food's most important role is to fuel and nourish our bodies. This healing pumpkin turmeric soup is a delicious immune boosting dish to help prevent yourself from getting sick as the season's transition. It's made with pumpkin, coconut cream, vegetables, and plenty of fresh ginger and turmeric. Top these with roasted sunflower seeds or some coconut bacon to add a savory touch to the soup's sweetness.
Healing Pumpkin Turmeric Soup [Vegan]
- 4 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 onion, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder or 1 turmeric root, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper
- Coconut bacon
- Croutons or tamari roasted sunflower seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook garlic, ginger, and onion for 5 minutes, until soft but not colored.
- Add peeled, deseeded, and cubed pumpkin to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden. Pour the vegetable stock into the pan, then season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes until the squash is very soft.
- Pour the soup into a blender, add coconut cream and turmeric powder. Process until smooth.
- When ready to serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves, seeds, croutons, or coconut bacon