A heart healthy recipe with beneficial nuts, oats, and dark chocolate all in one serving! These hazelnut oatmeal baked pears will have you and your loved ones reaching for seconds! Thinking about a rich chocolate cake for Thanksgiving dessert? How about a heart healthy dish of baked pears drizzled in rich dark chocolate? As we express our thankfulness for others this month, let’s also show love for ourselves by promoting a healthy heart!
Hazelnut Oatmeal Baked Pears [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 whole pears, such as Anjou or Bosc
- 3/4 cup gluten-free, rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted, vegan butter (melted)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hazelnut pieces
- 3 ounces vegan, dark chocolate bar (for chocolate drizzle, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the pears in half and scoop out the middle with a tablespoon or melon ball scooper.
- Place the halved pears face up in a shallow pan. Fill enough water on the bottom to keep the pears from drying out during baking time (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup).
- In a medium bowl, mix the all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate for the topping. Scoop the topping into the pears to just fill the top.
- Place in the oven and let bake for 30-45 minutes, or until pears are soft and the topping is crisp. (Optional: While the pears bake with just 5-10 minutes remaining, melt dark chocolate in a small metal bowl over a boiling pot of water. Remove the pears from the oven and drizzle the melted chocolate on top).