This recipe is a keeper! Hearty, spicy, smoky veggie meatballs with a ton of high-quality plant protein. Each bite of these has a rich variety of flavor, from spicy harissa to nutty tahini. Use these to make a hearty sub, to top a bowl of spaghetti, or add some depth to a salad.
Harissa Lentil Quinoa Meatballs [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Harissa Lentil Quinoa Meatballs [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup dry green lentils
- 3 cups water, for boiling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 roasted eggplant
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
How to Prepare Harissa Lentil Quinoa Meatballs [Vegan]
- Boil the quinoa and the lentils in 3 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain them after boiling. They will be cooked but will retain a somewhat hard texture.
- Put the lentils and quinoa in a food processor and mix briefly. Add the onion, garlic, roasted eggplants, tahini, lemon juice, harissa, cumin, black pepper, and breadcrumbs. Mix them until thoroughly combined but with a slight texture left.
- Add the walnuts and pulse the food processor a few times.
- Shape into balls and cook in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat, flipping a few times until you get a nice crust cover. Alternatively, you can bake them for 15-25 minutes in 400°F.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.