The main flavor for these Harissa Butter Grilled Cauliflower Steaks is-you guessed it- harissa. Harissa is a North African hot chili paste. It has other spices and garlic in it as well making it really flavorful. So, it's the perfect thing to add flavor to cauliflower steaks- which need a LOT of seasoning.
Harissa Butter Grilled Cauliflower Steaks [Vegan]
For the Cauliflower:
- 2 ~1 1/2 inch Cauliflower Steaks, see above for cutting tips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Plant-Based Butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Harissa Paste
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
For the Optional Tahini Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Water
- Pinch Salt
To make the Tahini Sauce
- In a small bowl combine tahini and lemon juice and stir. The mixture will get really thick!
- Add water, a little bit at a time until you achieve a smooth, creamy sauce. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
For the Cauliflower Steaks
- Meanwhile combine melted plant butter, harissa paste, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.
- Brush all the harissa butter over the two cauliflower steaks, being sure to get all the crevices!
- Season each side of the cauliflower steaks with salt.
- Reduce grill heat to medium-high/medium and place cauliflower steaks on and close the lid.
- Let cook for 10 minutes, flip and let cook with the lid closed for 10-13 minutes longer.
- Pierce with a fork to test for doneness.
- Serve with grilled veggies and roasted sweet potatoes or put it on a sandwich!