Whether you are vegan or not or, this homemade recipe for sprinkles is not only easy and cost efficient, but fun too! They are colorful, fresh and work on any of your favorite desserts!
Halloween Sprinkles [Vegan]
- 6 cups Sifted Confectioners Sugar
- Salt pinch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8-10 Tablespoons Aquafaba or Water
- Food Color as needed
- By hand in a large mixing bowl or with an electric mixer, combine the sifted confectioners sugar with the salt and then add the vanilla extract and then the water, starting with just about half the water.
- Mix to a paste and then add more water as needed.
- Divide the icing into as many smaller bowls are you are making colors. Add the food color and mix well, then cover each small bowl with plastic wrap to prevent drying as you pipe each color.
- Use parchment paper cones to pipe each color, since you are working with such small portions at a time it just makes more sense, it is cleaner and easier to handle those small bags rather than large pastry bags, not to mention the canvas or plastic pastry bags we use for other projects may have residual grease in them which can break down the sprinkle icing.
- Pipe the colors out in long strings onto parchment paper lined sheet pans.
- Let the icing dry for at least 4 hours in a cool, dry (not humid!) spot
- One the strings have dried all the way, roll up the parchment paper and let the sprinkles pour out into a bowl!