I’ve been mulling over the idea of a thick, bean-based cheesy sandwich spread for a few weeks. I wanted to create something with an excellent flavor and a little nutritional oomph. Enter the beans! This sandwich combines the classic pairing of grilled cheese and tomato soup into a thick, savory spread that doesn’t taste at all beany. I love it on sourdough, but you can use your favorite sandwich bread.
Grilled ‘Cheese’ and Tomato Soup Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 15 oz. Great Northern beans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 slices bread per sandwich (gluten-free, if that's a concern)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the beans, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and tomato paste until the beans are pureed and spreadable. Add the remaining ingredients and continue processing or blending until you have a thick, uniform spread.
- Transfer the spread to a small saucepot and heat on low. In the meantime, prepare the bread the way you like it best. I like to butter it on both sides and toast it in a pan, but you can also use a toaster or toaster oven. Once the spread is heated through and the bread is toasted, add a few tablespoons of spread to the bread, make the sandwich, and enjoy!
- Beans - All
- Beans - White
- Cheesy Recipes
- Nut-Free Vegan Cheese
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile