It's not summer without something grilled! The perfect addition to any backyard barbecue or a quick dinner for a night in, these tempeh sliders are flavorful and easy to make. Grilled, barbecue sauce-covered tempeh is served on a toasty bun with a delicious kale, red cabbage, and carrot slaw. Serve with all the fixings for a perfect barbecue dinner, like corn on the cob, baked beans, or a side of fries.
Grilled Barbecue Tempeh Slider With Kale Slaw [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grilled Barbecue Tempeh Slider With Kale Slaw [Vegan]
- Barbecue sauce
- 2 7-ounce blocks tempeh, cut into bun-size squares
- 4 cups kale, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/8 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Liquid sweetener, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slider buns
- Vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
How to Prepare Grilled Barbecue Tempeh Slider With Kale Slaw [Vegan]
- Cut your tempeh to size to perfectly fit each bun. Add to a shallow dish and cover with enough barbecue sauce to coat fully. Lightly flip each piece until covered. Set aside until needed; you can marinate overnight for even more flavor.
- Wash and thinly slice your purple cabbage. Transfer to a large bowl with shredded carrots.
- In a medium bowl, add kale ripped from the stem into bite-size pieces. Massage with lemon juice and a touch of oil; this will help break it down and remove any bitter flavor. Test a piece to see if it’s still bitter, you’ll know it’s ready when the bitterness goes away, and it reduces in size.
- Mix kale, carrots, and cabbage with a little liquid sweetener (like agave nectar), salt, and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a grill pan to medium heat and lightly oil as needed.
- Place tempeh at a diagonal and cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, and repeat.
- Toast slider buns as desired.
- Assemble with grilled tempeh, kale slaw, and a touch of vegan mayonnaise and/or mustard on top.
- Serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.