It's not summer without something grilled! The perfect addition to any backyard barbecue or a quick dinner for a night in, these tempeh sliders are flavorful and easy to make. Grilled, barbecue sauce-covered tempeh is served on a toasty bun with a delicious kale, red cabbage, and carrot slaw. Serve with all the fixings for a perfect barbecue dinner, like corn on the cob, baked beans, or a side of fries.
Grilled Barbecue Tempeh Slider With Kale Slaw [Vegan]
- Barbecue sauce
- 2 7-ounce blocks tempeh, cut into bun-size squares
- 4 cups kale, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/8 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Liquid sweetener, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slider buns
- Vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Cut your tempeh to size to perfectly fit each bun. Add to a shallow dish and cover with enough barbecue sauce to coat fully. Lightly flip each piece until covered. Set aside until needed; you can marinate overnight for even more flavor.
- Wash and thinly slice your purple cabbage. Transfer to a large bowl with shredded carrots.
- In a medium bowl, add kale ripped from the stem into bite-size pieces. Massage with lemon juice and a touch of oil; this will help break it down and remove any bitter flavor. Test a piece to see if it’s still bitter, you’ll know it’s ready when the bitterness goes away, and it reduces in size.
- Mix kale, carrots, and cabbage with a little liquid sweetener (like agave nectar), salt, and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a grill pan to medium heat and lightly oil as needed.
- Place tempeh at a diagonal and cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, and repeat.
- Toast slider buns as desired.
- Assemble with grilled tempeh, kale slaw, and a touch of vegan mayonnaise and/or mustard on top.
- Serve warm.