When served warm, this salad is hearty enough to eat during even the coldest winter months – but it's equally as nice served chilled at a picnic or other warm-weather gathering! Crunchy almonds, chewy cranberries and sun-dried tomatoes, tangy olives, and hearty wild rice provide an interesting mix of textures that will have you craving more!
Green Bean and Wild Rice Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Bean and Wild Rice Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- About 6 cups water
- 1/2 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, chopped (reserve some oil for dressing)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 large radishes, julienned or thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, seeds removed, quartered
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, lightly toasted
For the Dressing:
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
How to Prepare Green Bean and Wild Rice Salad [Vegan]
To Make the Salad:
- In a 3-quart saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add green beans to water and cook for 3-4 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath. In a medium bowl, add 2-3 cups of ice and equal water.
- Transfer green beans to the ice bath with tongs or a slotted spoon to halt cooking and preserve their bright green color.
- Add rice to the green bean water and stir. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes with lid slightly askew to allow steam to escape. Strain water from the rice, return the rice to the pot, cover with a lid, and set back on burner with the heat off for 20-30 minutes. Rice will steam and soften during this time.
- Remove green beans from the ice bath. Dry them with paper towels. Cut green beans into bite-size pieces and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, red onion, kalamata olives, dried cranberries, and Italian parsley. Toss to combine.
To Make the Dressing:
- Combine garlic, shallot, mustard, salt, pepper, oil from sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, and sherry wine vinegar in a small bowl. Briskly whisk to emulsify the dressing. Set aside.
- Add wild rice to the green bean mixture. Toss to combine. Add dressing, toss to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle salad with toasted almonds.
- This salad will hold up for several days in the refrigerator – even with the dressing. - To maintain the crunch of the almonds, garnish this salad just before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.