Mashed yellow lentils topped with red onion and a generous splash of olive oil makes a wonderful appetizer. Fava was meant to be shared with a friend. This fava spread is super simple yet incredibly delicious. It's simplicity makes it versatile, so you can enjoy it as a dip, spread it onto sandwiches, or even eat it by the spoonful if you like!
Greek Fava Spread [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils or yellow split peas
- 3-4 cups water
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch turmeric, for color if needed
- 1/4 cup fine olive oil garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion for garnish
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 orange
- 4 slices rustic bread (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Simmer lentils on low with water, oregano, turmeric, carrot, yellow onion, salt, mashed garlic cloves, oregano, and turmeric until very mushy.
- Keep adding water as necessary. You want a porridge like texture. It should take about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the heat. Fish out the carrot and onion. It is okay if a bit of carrot remains; it will add color.
- Mash in pot with a spoon or in food processor until it still retains a shadow of split pea shapes but is mainly mash.
- Scoop into shallow bowl, squeeze lemon and orange over the top, splash on a generous amount of golden olive oil, a little salt, a little pepper and you are ready to dive in. Serve room temperature.