Mashed yellow lentils topped with red onion and a generous splash of olive oil makes a wonderful appetizer. Fava was meant to be shared with a friend. This fava spread is super simple yet incredibly delicious. It's simplicity makes it versatile, so you can enjoy it as a dip, spread it onto sandwiches, or even eat it by the spoonful if you like!
Greek Fava Spread [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Greek Fava Spread [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils or yellow split peas
- 3-4 cups water
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch turmeric, for color if needed
- 1/4 cup fine olive oil garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion for garnish
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 orange
- 4 slices rustic bread (optional)
- Salt, to taste
How to Prepare Greek Fava Spread [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Simmer lentils on low with water, oregano, turmeric, carrot, yellow onion, salt, mashed garlic cloves, oregano, and turmeric until very mushy.
- Keep adding water as necessary. You want a porridge like texture. It should take about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the heat. Fish out the carrot and onion. It is okay if a bit of carrot remains; it will add color.
- Mash in pot with a spoon or in food processor until it still retains a shadow of split pea shapes but is mainly mash.
- Scoop into shallow bowl, squeeze lemon and orange over the top, splash on a generous amount of golden olive oil, a little salt, a little pepper and you are ready to dive in. Serve room temperature.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.